COME

"Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD...He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths." Micah 4:2

Thursday, May 24, 2012

A sole lesson...

Favored Sandals
I slipped on my favorite sandals, and once again, smiled at the comfort and ease of the beautiful upper leather snuggling my feet. I loved their soft color for summer, and their loose swede insole cooled my feet, while the buckled tightness kept my feet from slipping. Another warm season happily brought out my stored sandals and I looked forward to their comfort for yet, another summer. These trusted sandals had cushioned my feet while trekking the paths of a tropical island, endured hard concrete of sidewalks and malls in several countries, and even walked on carpeted rugs of church and home. They had served me well, and so, this morning, I hurriedly buckled them on and took off.
My first errand took me to a large warehouse for garden equipment. I had not walked far when I noticed my left foot was becoming more loose. I bent to tighten the buckle, and continued walking down an aisle. I stumbled. Mental disgust scolded my feet to walk right, and I entered another aisle. As I turned a corner, I tripped, looked down, and finally, my sandals had my full attention. I picked up my foot, looked at the underside, and found the sole completely split from side to side!
I needed a fast escape route to my car!
I hobbled out of the store,  slowly and methodically placing my foot, hoping I wouldn't totally lose my balance, trip completely, or drag the sole along the concrete with a bare foot. Calculating the number of steps to the safety of my car, my heart raced, hoping my crumbled sandal would carry me.
As I neared the car, I felt the right sole unprotected on the hard pavement, and the left held on with a few loose threads! Regrets and wishes forced each step as I reprimanded my carelessness for not checking the condition of my soles before I had ventured out into the market place!

Slumping into my seat, I mumbled, "Wow, one sole broken and another barely hanging on!" Unfinished errands, and a wasted drive home emphasized my carelessness and I pondered this "sole lesson".

My soles take me every place, yet I gave very little thought to the damage of useful wear and tear, years of abusive walking, and even storage left behind.
It's the same for my inner soul. How often do I examine the condition of my soul before venturing into the marketplace? Am I worn out by the useful wear and tear of daily errands and demands? What about where I walk, and even storage time my soul has endured? I considered other souls that cross my path. Were some of them cracked, tired with use and dry from the lack of moisture? Maybe others around me felt completely broken, in need of deep repair, or barren, hanging on with just a few threads.

My favorite sandals are ruined, but this doesn't have to be the case with our spiritual inner souls. We've been given God's Word to check daily the condition of the inner soul before we take a step into the day.

We face many situations in a day and these can break our souls, wear our souls out, and even detach it from the very source and fiber of the inner life. We're foolish to think we can just buckle on the old without checking the conditions and think our souls are good for the miles of the day.
Our souls need renewal. The Bible teaches the source of renewal, restoration, and repair is all found by time spent in Scriptures. Our souls find refreshment at the feet of Jesus as He only can repair our souls with His Word.

Finding daily repair in nourishment, direction, and fulfillment for the inner man, the old prophet exclaimed, "Thy WORDS were found and I did eat them. They were the joy and rejoicing of my soul for I am called by thy name, O Lord of Host". Jeremiah 15:16
And the psalmist recognized Scripture for his path in his conclusion, "I will walk in freedom for I have devoted myself to your commandments." and also, "Your WORD is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:45, 105 NLT 


Knowing joy, rejoicing, guidance and direction are found in the Presence of the Almighty giving your soul freedom to walk today's path unhindered.

2 comments:

Tina at Mommynificent.com said...

Great reminder, Mom! And I'll miss those shoes. :(

Diann Brown Hayes said...

Wonderful illustration. Thanks for sharing (yet sorry for your discomfort and loss).