COME

"Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD...He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths." Micah 4:2

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Delight to show MERCY

There are so many verses in the Psalms that speaks of David's delight in the Lord...
We're instructed to delight in the Lord (Ps 37:4, 11, 23; 40:8) and delight in His Way. (Ps 37:23), and delight in his Word (Jer 15:16).

And although, we often think we're doing just that because we love Him, there are too many times when joy or delight seem lacking.
We often feel the weight of life's burdens, conflicts, suffering, seriousness, and even lack of godly knowledge causing weariness to outweigh our delight.
Our focus becomes blurry when we try to "set your mind on things above" because we're too busy, or working hard without relying on His Power. Even allowing our hearts to break over the things that break the heart of God can rob us of His delight if those things take our eyes off our Savior.
We struggle with the cares of others around us.
We rise up in anger at injustice and corruption.
We yell our opinions and demand our way.
We look for ways to comfort and ease pain. We try to fix everything and be in charge.
We want to look good.
We're concerned with actions and choices made by others that affect us and our loves.

So, this month, wanting my spirit to wallow in His delight, I began praying...

"Lord, turn my heart to delight in YOU.  
Please fill me with your delight! 
Let me experience 'fullness of JOY in your Presence!"
(I really believed God would fill my life with so many good things that it could only be a delight to awaken each day! I looked for pleasant times and hung out with the lovely. I constantly checked my 'thankfulness'...but,
Unfortunately, I kept being ambushed by the hard, tough times, and the ugly.
I was a little confused.

What was hindering this wonderful desire in me? Wouldn't God be pleased to do this for me?
Why was finding delight so hard?)

This morning, my devotional time led me to Micah 7:18-19
"Who is a God like YOU, who pardons sins and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? YOU do not stay angry forever but DELIGHT to show MERCY."

And me? 
Am I imitating the likeness of Christ as God has purposed for me...
"to be conformed to the image of his Son..." (Rm 8:29)
I began looking for any occasion to show mercy. I concluded that if I truly wanted to delight in the Lord...I needed to allow His Holy Spirit to conform me...to be like Him.
And he just declared "I delight to show Mercy". (Micah 3:18)
Now, I'm smiling as I reflect on my day and found little pieces of given mercy gave me pleasure. 
Whether it was filling my FB opinions with grace, 
texting with friends, or just greeting strangers and store clerks,  
I realize showing Mercy is quite the delight!

No comments: