COME

"Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD...He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths." Micah 4:2

Friday, March 29, 2013

Coastline wishes...


I looked back at my journal entries while living on the coastline of Penang, Malaysia. During January, my spiritual trek led me into the final speeches of Moses and his reminders of importance. With many references to "these words" in Deuteronomy, Moses referred to the Ten Commandments written on stone tablets. Through reminders of "these words", Moses teaches the Grace of God reaching even into my generation in a desire that His people know Him.
My studies traced Moses' footprints through his own pilgrimage with God, and I often found my heart responding just as Moses did after his face time with the Creator.

On this particular afternoon I stood on the beach and gazed out as far as I could see while envisioning Moses view the vast reaches of land promised to his forefathers.
To my right, I saw the dark plush majestic mountains rising out of the water and to my left, the landscape continued with sand and waves meeting in outline forms. Looking closer, I took in the array of ethnic groups adding contrast in clusters around beach restaurants, hotel pools, and behind them, my gaze caught the upward sights of hotels and city apartments rising to meet the sky. Cars, mini-vans, motorcycles, and trucks carried produce and people, but most looked too busy to enjoy the scenery. Many identified their staunch beliefs by their customary outfits, and even some restaurants' glistening trinkets and scents of spices spoke of ethnicity.

The colors of business and vacations lining the beach added contrast to the vast span of blues and plush deep greens of the mountains as I put footprints in the wet sand. The shores of a calm Malacca Strait were relaxing and peaceful,  and as I walked along the water edge, an urge to speak with the Creator overwhelmed my spirit. As I tried to describe my powerful emotions affected by this landscape of beauty, I was wonder-struck at the possibility to personally speak to the Creator!
As I stood in wonder, I wanted to shout like Moses, and ask the groups speckled along the beach...
"What god is there in heaven or on earth who can do such works and mighty acts...?" (Deut 3:24)

Right there on the beach, the questions linger from Moses' day..."Who has a god so near to them as the Lord our God is to us, whenever we call upon him? And who has rules so righteous as the word of grace from our God?"
Who has made himself known to his people like this God of Creation?"

My wonder turned to thankfulness.
This God of Creation has made Himself known! He created this sea and the gigantic mountains rising out of the sea. He formed the waves that splashed my legs and slid back into the depths. He made each person decorating the beach, and even the stray dogs and horses walking the beach with hopeful owners making a livelihood.
And He shows Himself in all His greatness through every detail of Creation!
As I contemplated His greatness, I was awed by our possibility to know the Creator.

At that moment, I wanted to shout "I know HIM!" to each person. By just the scenery, I could point out His greatness, His vast and intricate details, His power, and His goodness! If given more time, I would pass on His "words" of love, and share the rest of His story.
Oh, how I wish I could have shared the love of God,
the visit of this Creator to earth,
and what He did to redeem His world!
And as old Moses, I would warn them not to miss "these words" written on stone, or the sights and sounds He provided so that each of us could really know Him.

No comments: