COME

"Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD...He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths." Micah 4:2

Monday, April 22, 2013

The Path on "Oracle Mountain"

For the next several weeks, my spiritual trek has been asked to follow the path set out by Malachi, the messenger, who came to the spiritual leaders of Israel with the 'oracle' of the Word of the Lord.

I want to thank Lisa Harper for her stories and insights into this last book of the Old Testament. I'm anticipating new lessons in my time alone with the Guide through the pages of The Manual. I also look forward to time weekly spent with the small group of sojourners who come to take this hike into what I've dubbed The Path on "Oracle Mountain".

I can only imagine how heavy this burden was to Malachi. It was no surprise to find other translations used "burden" to replace "oracle. This isn't a letter of recommendation, nor is it a message of praise for a job well done. Lisa found "a love that never lets go" within the lines of the message, but the message itself is a strong rebuke for handling sacred instructions corruptly. It looks strongly like a citation given egotistical leaders, and a warning for followers to change paths quickly.
God approaches through six rhetorical disputations, giving Malachi a message to carry to the spiritual leaders and the people.

As I read the disputations, I was struck by how "sassy" the responses are to God's rhetorical claims. It's not easy to correct defensive children, but wow...this really had to be a tough call for Malachi! Not only is he sent to the children of God, but to leaders who defiantly wore their disobedience while strutting as elite servants, daring anyone to call them down!
I think this study is going to show some real character from a Messenger who speaks clearly, standing courageously tall beside an amazing God of infinite love.

You're invited to study and comment along the path! 
Please let me know any of your insights as you read the manual and trek this mountain. 
Thanks! 


No comments: